2020 was a tough year for everyone. Cafe’s took a particularly hard hit with the enforced Covid restrictions.
However in a positive twist many operators implemented innovative solutions to keep their doors open – with some businesses even thriving with their new business models.
Some of these processes are here to stay and set the standard for what is proposed to trend for 2021 within the food and beverage industry.
- Takeaway, delivery and at-home meal kits – Operators are paying special attention to takeaway menus after enforced restaurant shutdowns, and venues have had great success with takeaway food and drink.
- Set menus – The past few months have seen many venues cut à la carte menus and instead provide a fixed offering.
- Product ranges – Seeing the value in creating a core line available all year round. Whether it’s local produce, artisan groceries or merchandise.
- Low-Alcohol By Volume (ABV) beverages – Australians are drinking less alcohol and the low-ABV and alcohol-free category has continued to grow with the increasing popularity of hard seltzer, alcohol-free spirits and low-ABV beers.
- Table ordering and digital menus – COVID Safe guidelines, and minimising touch-points will remain a focus for operators. There has been an increased presence of technology that allows customers to view menus on their phones, order meals and pay when they’re ready.
- All-in-one venues – Convenience continues to be king, and operators have identified a gap in the market for venues that can do it all.
- Increased hygiene protocols – Hospitality venues have always maintained strict hygiene protocols, but increased cleanliness is now more important than ever.
- Dietary requirements – The number of Australians adopting vegetarian, gluten-free and vegan diets continues to rise, as does the demand for a quality food and beverage offering that ticks all the dietary boxes.
- Connecting with producers – Provenance continues to be of the utmost importance for venues, with more and more customers becoming increasingly aware of supporting local farmers and sustainable practices.
Information from this article is sourced from https://www.hospitalitymagazine.com.au/2021-trends/