40 MINUTES PREP | SERVES 12-16
This festive season, Sunny Queen Australia chef, Katrina Neill has created an egg-ceptionally delicious Festive Season Bombe Alaska that’s sure to be a hit at Christmas time.
Katrina said a Bombe Alaska is the perfect festive treat for all egg lovers, egg-specially those who love meringue. This decadent dessert welcomes an egg-splosion of flavours with berries, cream and passionfruit evident with each bite.
“When I think Christmas, I think families, lots of laughter and of course a delicious spread of dishes. I’m a bit of a sweet tooth myself so I wanted to whisk up one of my favourite dishes that would really make people feel good during the festive season,” said Katrina.
Katrina will also be hosting a Facebook live session on the Sunny The Egg Facebook page to show how easy it is to prepare this dish and impress your guests. “With families preparing several dishes for their friends and loved ones, the Bombe Alaska will be a great centrepiece dish that’s perfect for sharing,” said Katrina.
“What’s great about this dish, is that it can be prepared in advance. You simply need to whip up a meringue and decorate on the day, giving you more time to spend with friends and family on Christmas. “High quality eggs and ingredients make all the difference when it comes to desserts, especially with a creamy, rich treat like this. “In the spirit of togetherness, I’m egg-cited to show how versatile Sunny Queen Farms eggs are by hosting a Facebook live so everyone can make their delicious Bombe Alaska along with me, so I egg-courage everyone to tune in and have a crack at it!”
Katrina Neill’s Facebook Live baking session was held on December 4th at 10am (AEST) via the Sunny The Egg Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/SunnyTheEgg/videos/2652964615016085).
For more than 90 years, Sunny Queen Farms has passionately delivered egg-ceptionally tasty eggs, to bring about a smile to every egg lover. “All our Sunny Queen Farms eggs wear a smile all year round and especially during Christmas time, what a perfect moment to bring a smile to everyone. There is no happier time for me than Christmas,” said Katrina.
To make the Sunny Queen Festive Season Bombe Alaska:
Please note: This delicious Christmas recipe requires freezing, so must be made in advance.
Day 1: Prep and Freeze
Day 2: Meringue and Assembly Time:
- Prep: 20 min
- Freezing time: 24 hrs
- Meringue and assembly: 20 min
- Store bought swiss roll
- Store bought passionfruit syrup
- 2L vanilla ice cream
- 1L berry ice cream
- 1 punnet strawberries (tops removed and cut in quarters)
- 1 punnet raspberries
- 1 punnet black or blue berries
For the Meringue
- 6 XLarge Sunny Queen Farms Free Range Egg whites (at room temperature)
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- 320g caster sugar
- White vinegar (for wiping out bowl as required)
Day 1 Prep and Freeze
- Line a large salad bowl with cling wrap
- Slice swiss roll and line inside of bowl, leaving 2cm from the top. Brush syrup onto sponge.
- Mix all the berries and ice cream together. For a ripple effect, add in stages.
- Carefully fill sponge lined bowl with ice cream mixture, leaving 2cm from the top.
- Push mixture into bowl, and cover ice cream with the remaining slices of swiss roll. Brush with syrup.
- Cover with a disc of baking paper and wrap with cling wrap.
- Refrigerate for at least 24 hours before turning out.
Day 2 Meringue and Assembly
- Use white vinegar to wipe electric mixer bowl and whisk
- Whisk egg whites and cream of tartar together, gradually increasing in speed until foamy, soft peaks are formed.
- Gradually add sugar while mixing. Whisk until thick and glossy.
- Remove bowl from freezer, unwrap and turn onto a serving platter.
- Pipe, or apply the meringue with a spatula, to create waves covering the ice cream completely.
- Using a brulee burner, lightly toast the meringue.
- Decorate in your favourite festive garnish and serve to your happy guests!
Alternatively, if you don’t have a brulee burner, you can achieve the same effect in the oven– remove all but bottom rack from the oven and ensure your Bombe Alaska is on an oven proof dish or baking tray!
Ensure ice cream is completely frozen solid for this method – frozen for at least 48 hours.
Put the Bombe Alaska into the oven pre-heated to 220°C and bake until the meringue peaks are golden – about 5 minutes.
For more recipe inspiration, head to www.sunnyqueen.com.au/recipes
ABOUT SUNNY QUEEN AUSTRALIA
Sunny Queen Australia is proudly farmer owned and a leader in the provision of eggs, channelling this expertise to satisfy the food sector through a variety of convenient, cost-effective, tasty and wholesome egg products.
With an ‘impeckable’ reputation for animal welfare and egg-ceptional taste, Sunny Queen’s smiley faced eggs have been giving Australians a reason to smile for over 90 years.